Old 07-01-2005, 11:49 PM
hugh

Big snip
In message , JeffC
writes
I accept that "tidal wave" is in common use to describe big waves of any
nature. But it still does not alter the fact that it is incorrect in the
case of this appalling disaster.

In the absence of an alternative word, then I would accept "tidal wave" as a
description, but in view of the fact there is a local word for the phenomena
a "tsunami" then I prefer to use that instead.

Modern dictionaries now make a distinction between the two;

Even bigger snip

What do you consider modern?
Our Concise Oxford Dictionary printed in 1968 distinguishes between the
two. Having defined tidal wave it goes on to state:-
tidal wave (Improper) any extraordinary ocean wave e.g. one attributed
to earthquake
tsunami:- sea wave caused by disturbance of ocean floor or seismic
movement.
My better half (B.Sc. Geography 1965) concurs with the above as the
correct technical analysis. It's just that the media has only discovered
the word tsunami in the last couple of years or so, but better late than
never.
--
hugh