Old 08-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Tom2 Tom2 is offline
Registered User

Location: Worcester South west midlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned
Tom2 wrote:
Hello folks,
HELP PLEASE, I grow vegatables and salads in pots but I am

constantly
bothered with scariad flies and the maggoty larva in the compost, I
read somewhere that the fly does little harm but that has not been

my
experience as I have found that any plant that has got these maggots
in the compost do not thrive and in a number of cases they are
positively sickly, the ideal solution (If there is one) would be
something along organic lines for obvious reasons but I would
consider a chemical method for my long standing specimen plants that
I overwinter,
Help would be greatly appreciated ,

'Some time since I had this problem but am I not right in thinking
that it is all down to the compost. The scariad larvae thrive in peat
(type) composts living off decaying vegetable matter. Once established
they will attack new fine root growth which leads to more decaying
vegetable matter.
Using a loam based compost is the solution - I think.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 30.12.2004
Thanks for the suggestion Ned,
But I have grown plants in soil based composts and I think they have a down side the pots are invariably heavier and the compost always seems to be colder until of course we get into the season of higher temperatures
Thanks again,
Tom2