Old 08-01-2005, 03:22 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:47:25 -0500, Ken Anderson wrote:

What variety is the well-know Idaho potato? The seed catalogs never identify
any of their varieties as the "Idaho" potato. Yes, I know I probably can't
grow a potato as tasty as an Idaho baker, but what variety is it?
Ken

Just curious, why would you want to grow a super market variety potato?
Potatos aren't any better when they are fresh, a potato that's been in
your refrigerator for two months tastes the same as one that you just
bought so there is no advantage to pulling one out of the ground and
throwing it in to a pot. Also supermarket varieties are bred for yield and
durability not for flavor. If you are going to grow a potato why don't
you grow an exotic variety. We have something on the order of four
varieties in our supermarkets, in Peru there are 8000 varieties of
potatos. Surely there must be some way to get a hold of a potato other
than an Idaho or a Maine.