Old 08-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Ray

Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but what's wrong with IE and
OE?

IE has a popup blocker that's quite effective, and I have all sorts of
mail rules set up that block the vast majority of spam in OE.

Am I missing something THAT significantly different?

..
"dusty" wrote in message
"K Barrett" wrote in
oups.com:

Hi all,

OK, this is on topic only because we're all reading this group on
computers, so I have a computer question.

My ISP changed to Giganews, making access to Usenet difficult.
Therefore I'm taking this opportunity to research changing from
Outlook
Express to some other news reader. I'm also taking this
opportunity to
finally stop using Internet Explorer as a browser. Something I
intended
to do 4-5 yrs ago, heh.

I'm considering Mozilla/Firefox and Agent. (Unless Mozilla has its
own
newsreader... hadn't thought of that)

Any input as to ease of use or frequency of attacks by
popups/worms/viruses etc with these alternate programs? Like would
they be more/less open to attack?

I find I have gotten stuck in my ways and only understand programs
of
the 1995-1998 vintage, so I'm anticipating a steep learning curve,
as
well as frustration and hair pulling when I make this switch. Its
hell
getting old.

K Barrett

I hated OE from day one and never could get it to work right or be
as
secure as I like.
I use Xnews as a news group reader it's freeware and easy to use.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/xnews.html

I've heard that Giganews is supposed to be a great sevice but I've
never
tried it.

If you want a new NNTP client (Newsgroups) I use the totally
uncensored
Tera News the low cost package is a one time fee of $3.95 which
allows you
to download 50 meg a day. the retention varies from 3 to 8 days. The
also
have a ton of other packages here. note the $3.95 packages is at the
bottom
of the selections.
https://secure.usenetbilling.com/new...?referredby=10
89565316&action=Create+New+Account&vendor=teranews

hope this helps