Old 08-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Sacha

On 7/1/05 8:55, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

Do I get a grade for this? ;-) Poult (according to the same dictionary)
is the young of domestic fowl and game birds XV. Middle English, pult,
contr. of poulet PULLET So (arch.) poulter Old French pouletier extended
to poulterer XVII prob. After poultry, earlier pulletrie etc.

Interesting!

I hardly dare ask you this ... but what is the derivation of 'venison'?
And 'veal'? Are there any other meats which aren't simply called by the
name of the animal? I won't start on the bits of animal - why 'lights'
for example?

Veal comes from old French, velaus (obl) veel And the Latin is vitellus,
diminutive of vitulus (calf). Of course modern French for veal *and* a calf
is 'veau'.
"Venison flesh of an animal killed in the chase XIII: (arch.) beast of the
chase XIV. ME veneso(u)n. OF veneso(u)n, -ison (mod. Venaison): L.
venatio, -on- hunting, game, f. venari hunt" (The 'f' there means 'formed
on')
Incidentally, I asked my French niece about what a pig is known as in French
- the animal, rather than the meat and she is firm that it is 'cochon'.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk