Old 08-01-2005, 07:42 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
Tom Atkinson wrote:

Wondering how everyone fared with the storms sweeping UK. We are

in
N.Ireland

North Yorkshire in a fairly windy spot - gusts to 90mph. Woke up

this
morning to loud noises and lots of very gusty wind. The power was
erratic and looking out showed why. A neighbour's large beech tree

was
down across the road, held up in part by the new 3 phase mains

cable.
The cable support poles were all bent like bananas! Mine is one of

the
few fixed line phone connections still working.

All roads from the village blocked by fallen trees. Spent most of

the
day helping clear roads. Garden shed totally annihilated - became a

sort
of bent and twisted semi-flat pack. Otherwise we only lost a few

roof
tiles and are praying nothing more serious hits us tonight. Repairs

are
needed and the weather is still too active for compfort.

A couple of villagers lost serious chunks of roof tiles, the village
hall suffered roof damage and its old weather vane flew off.

Compared to the floods in Carlisle it seems we got off lightly.

At the top end of Wensleydale we got off comparatively lightly. There
was a howling wind, rain and sleet all through the night,and early
morning. There is a fair amount of flooding around and about in the
fields, but the town does not seem to have suffered any damage worth
talking about. One 15 inch diameter sycamore fell over just on the
other side of the river, causing no serious damage.

Franz