Old 08-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from contains these words:

in the high winds today an old rosemary bush we have, about 3 feet
high, has snapped across the trunk. Other than cry, is there anything
I can do that might help it root again?

It's unlikely to sprout from below the break. Take cuttings before
they wilt. It's not an ideal time of year but worth a try.

I live in a windy place, and find it useful to give low-growing
shrubs like rosemary and cistus extra anchors by rooting living
branches. I put some earth then a stone on lower branches, pinning
them down to the earth. Once the anchors are well rooted you can take
the stone off.

Not just for anchoring. Rosemary tends to be short lived in many soils,
and I find that I need to renew bushes once every 5 years or so. That
is the way that I do it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.