Old 09-01-2005, 02:50 AM
Bandicoot

"junkyardcat" wrote in message
I may only be 39, but my poor old arthritic knees are about 70, LOL!
I use a short stool (a step stool) when I can, but when the ground is too
soft and mushy for a stool, I use knee pads Both work well

Angie

Hmmm, same age as me - and knees about the same too! I used to be an
archaeologist, which is said to be second only to carpet fitter as an
occupation gauranteed to wreck the knees. All this not helped by a couple
of sports injuries as a child too.

Knee pads do help, but I tend to find them inconvenient to put on and take
off when I'm just popping out do do twenty minutes' weeding, so usually just
use a soft foam pad that I carry around. Sitting for what I can helps, and
so do long handled tools that increase the number of jobs I can do seated,
or standing.

A while ago I had a back injury and was given exercises to do to strengthen
the back muscles and also to stretch my hamstrings, since they are very
tight and this was apparently putting more strain on my back. Doing this
seems to have helped the knees a bit too.

Sadly, there are no magic answers...

Peter