Old 09-01-2005, 04:49 AM
Steve

General Schvantzkoph wrote:

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 16:47:25 -0500, Ken Anderson wrote:
Just curious, why would you want to grow a super market variety potato?
Potatos aren't any better when they are fresh, a potato that's been in
your refrigerator for two months tastes the same as one that you just
bought so there is no advantage to pulling one out of the ground and
throwing it in to a pot...................................

Well, I can't agree with that. I love the taste of fresh dug potatoes in
the late summer. Definitely a better taste than after storage.
Do you really store potatoes in the refrigerator? I've never done that
because I have read that storing them that cold changes the flavor.
It's hard to beat an Idaho russet potato for baking. Their wonderful
fluffy white texture is the best. Of course, that fluffy texture makes
them a poor choice for other uses.
For boiled potatoes, served hot or cooled for use in a potato salad
there are other choices. You need more of a waxy texture for boiling.
This is where those unusual varieties really pay off.
By the way, many years ago I did grow some sprouted Idaho russet
potatoes in my garden. They had the same good baking quality as the one
from the store but they didn't get as big nor were they very productive
here in my northern NY garden.

Steve