Old 09-01-2005, 03:53 AM
Scottie

Al and Claude,

I have 20 machines to maintain at work, and all but two are running
XP-Pro, SP1. Our network is running several complicated firewalls and
antivirus programs on the server -- it's a public library where anyone can
come in and pop any floppy or cd into the machine and read it, but not
load it, or go to any website. Every night, everything the public has done
is erased. My tech guru, who works with all the libraries in the Houston
area, has advised me to avoid SP2 as long as possible, so I've just been
doing the regular Win Update, but I know the day is coming. Right now
I have two, possibly three down, with some kind of spyware which has
put them in a permanent loop on boot, so I have to go in Monday and
reload the OS on those, and I thought I might try SP2, just to make life
fun.

I have had reports from friends and library patrons that the original cd's
were required, but although I've searched MS Update, several tech sites,
and asked all the gurus I know, that doesn't seem to be the case. My home
machine did not come with the original MS XP cd, just a snapshot recovery
cd,
and I haven't devoted any weekends to loading it at home, either,
mostly because I don't want to take the time to do the backup to cd's
necessary (I
have XP home and it doesn't offer the built-in backup option XP-Pro does,
and I'm too cheap to buy a good backup system). I sure hate to hear the 45
minutes to get running part of your message! That will take forever at
work.

Scottie
"Al" wrote in message
Here, Microsoft Window's XP home edition is running on a Hewlet Packard
something or other. It came installed on this computer. I do not have

any
original disks and was not asked to provide one during the installation of
the SP2. Your results may vary.

I would check out Microsoft's website for problems installing the SP2 if

you
suspect there is anything out of the ordinary with the edition of your
operating system. I would check out this website for information only if

my
day was already as bad as I could possibly imagine, but sometimes you have
no choice. it is rumored that lots of people had trouble upgrading. For

my
own part, after the computer rebooted itself, it took like 45 excruciating
minutes to reorganize it's insides before the new version came up and then

had to pretend it was an initial installation and set up everything all

over
again, from the log on screen to the pop-up blocker, passwords and

firewall,
etc. All the installed software, like my email and newsgroup readers were
not affected outwardly by the upgrade. I take that back, the explorer
browser had to be configured for "privacy concerns" We have just reached
the limit of my computer knowledge. Goodnight....and happy orchid

growing.

Oh yes, and back up everything important first.

"Scottie" wrote in message
ink.net...
Ray and Al,

When you updated to SP2, was the original XP cd required?

Scottie
"Ray" wrote in message
news
It was automatic with the Win XP SR-2

.
"Reka" wrote in message
Ray wrote:
Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but what's wrong with IE and
OE?

IE has a popup blocker that's quite effective, and I have all sorts
of mail rules set up that block the vast majority of spam in OE.

Am I missing something THAT significantly different?

*I* must be missing something. Which IE has a popup blocker??? The
Google toolbar blocked mine, but IE??
But I don't even have to go through the hassle of setting up rules
with Thunderbird.

--
Reka

http://www.rolbox.it/hukari/index.html