Old 09-01-2005, 06:16 AM
Alan Gould

In article , David Cleland
writes
Last sept our builders gardener sowed our lawn. He firstly put a stack of
top soil on leveled it and put the seed down.

It is not 100% dense for sure but if I touch it at all you would sink about
1-2 inches the ground is so soft.

Will it all settle as the roots etc grown and the lawn becomes more dense ?

I have paid for this service so want to make sure I get the best from it.

The soil will consolidate a bit as it dries in springtime, but a light
rolling would have been better at the time of levelling. The grass will
become more dense and the soil will compact with mowing, but care should
be taken with the first cut. That needs to be done when the seedlings
are about 2-3 ins. high, probably in about mid to late April.
Traditional advice was to do it by hand with a scythe, but if a mower is
used it should be very sharp and a light cut taken. That is to prevent
new seedlings from being pulled out of the soft soil.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.