Old 09-01-2005, 12:55 PM
John Silver

That's why I went for propagation from acorn. Which, as you seem to
understand also means the remotely gathered acorn has another connection.

Sadly, I haven't space to plant more than one, but I think I shall have a
little while longer before I have to make a decision.

Kind regards

John

wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
John Silver wrote:
From your reply I also interpret that I won't be able to differentiate
between the trees until they are another couple of years old; that is
until
bark is distinctive, growth has been substantial and they have fruited.
That's a shame since I feel that within the next twelve months they will
have outgrown their pots and I will be making my choice on the one I will
transplant in the corner of my garden.

A healthy plant was a first criterion, but the remote plant has some
emotional attachment so if I can correctly identify its seedling, that is
the one I want to keep. Given the size of a fully grown oak, I don't have
space for two grin

Plant both, or all of them. After a few years, cut all except the one
you want to keep.

Yeah, the idea of killing a tree, or any long-lived plant I've nurtured
from seed, makes me cringe, too! ;-)

Good luck. Not enough people plant trees from seed, and we end up with
large stands of a few cloned cultivars, just waiting for the next disease
or pest to come by and clobber them. And having a grown tree you started
from seed is more gratifying than one you purchased from a nursery.