Old 09-01-2005, 11:02 AM
jane

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 18:27:54 +0000, Rod
wrote:

~On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 17:21:24 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:
~
~
~ I live in a windy place, and find it useful to give low-growing
~shrubs like rosemary and cistus extra anchors by rooting living
~branches. I put some earth then a stone on lower branches, pinning
~them down to the earth. Once the anchors are well rooted you can take
~the stone off.
~
~Back in the 1960s I used to visit an old fashioned nursery on moorland
~near Tansley in the Peak District. It seemed like a time warp even
~then, these old boys in old overcoats with sacking over their
~shoulders to shed a little bit of the rain that fell fairly copiously
~there. They produced some of the best field grown trees and shrubs
~I've ever seen. Rhododendron stock hedges formed many of the
~windbreaks on the place and they produced rhodies for sale by
~layering, basically just pulling branches down and plonking boulders
~on them.

Heh - I know those types of nurseries. I still try and get out to
Tansley when I go up to the parents'.

Stuff up there either grows deep roots or dies - one reason I'm
convinced that winds like the '87 hurricane wouldn't do nearly the
damage to trees up there. They are used to it!

Reminds me, must phone folks and see if they still have a roof...

--
jane

Mark Twain