Old 09-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Jan Flora

In article ,
(HPBudlong) wrote:

I was checking into using "water crystals" in my organic garden because being
in Zone 9, we need to retain as much moisture as possible in the soil.

A British company suggested that I use "Seaweed meal", i.e. ground up
seaweed,
as this would help retain water in the soil. I see this is being used a lot
on
England, but can only find liquid seaweed or kelp here.

Does anyone here have any experience with this stuff? Where can I get some in
the US, prefereably Los Angeles area.
Helen

In Alaska, we go down to the beach after really good storms, gather up
all the seaweed we can carry, then lay in on our garden beds (without
rinsing the salt off it) and let it rot. Seaweed has all of the trace
minerals plus N, P & K in it.

Folks in SE Alaska, who don't have topsoil, gather seaweed, lay it on
the bedrock in their yard and plant seed spuds in it. They get
tremendous crops of potatoes.

Jan, in Alaska