Old 09-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Spider

David Cleland wrote in message
anyone recommend a tree or bush that will take a bit of wind beating ?
Ideally will spread 2-3 feet in area and be 4-6 feet high.

David

Hi David,

Crataegus - aka Hawthorn, Quick, May - is very good at coping with wind, as
a tree or a shrub. In your situation, where height is limited, you are
obliged to have a shrub. The common hawthorn, C. monogyna, flowers in
May/June and produces berries in autumn which birds love.

If you've got room for a tree and want a good (grafted) cultivar, I can
recommend C.x persimilis 'Prunifolia'. It has glossy, toothed, cherry-like
leaves (without the leaf curl!), which turn orange, red and
burgundyfollowing the first frosts. It is glorious. I have never seen it
grown as a shrub though - unless other urglers know different ..

Spider