Old 09-01-2005, 06:58 PM
David Cleland

If you've got room for a tree and want a good (grafted) cultivar, I can
recommend C.x persimilis 'Prunifolia'. It has glossy, toothed,
cherry-like
leaves (without the leaf curl!), which turn orange, red and
burgundyfollowing the first frosts. It is glorious. I have never seen it
grown as a shrub though - unless other urglers know different ..

I would have room - is it thick - I just want something that is dense. it is
to go at the side of my house -about 4-5 feet from wall beside a fence. The
slight problem is - (if it even is a problem) is that there are pipes under
this area for the heating - or am I being paranoid.

THe tree sounds great - is there a pic anywhere ?

david