Old 09-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Oxymel of Squill

I grew five last year, they're about 3 ins tall. I was intending to grow
them over a south-ish facing fence. It looked v impressing in the seed
catalogue. but then, what doesn't?
I didn't know it tortured insects!
Jon in Wisbech

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I've just read through the thread on Feijoa Sellowiana.
I grew some from seed about 3 or 4 years ago after Bob
Flowerdew recommended it on GQT.
He gave it the alternative name of "cruel plant" saying that the
flowers trap insects overnight and release them next morning in order
to ensure pollination.
I have only once seen it growing, with one fruit, in a Yellow Book
garden in Clevedon by the Bristol Channel. It was trained over a
pergola.
Mine is in a wall pot, and is just allowed to trail down, but has
never flowered. It now has about 6 trailing stems. I shall pot it
and train it up a fence this year and maybe then it might flower for
me.

Pam in Bristol