Old 09-01-2005, 07:52 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:

I wholeheartedly endorse the use of treated "two-be-one" sawn
slater's battening for this and innumerable other things. Bang two
together in an L-section, and you've got a surprisingly stiff chunk
of timber: add a third, and it's as good as 4x2 for many jobs (the
centre of a length of wood, I understand, serves little engineering
purpose). This way you don't have to worry about how much of each
size to order, and it comes out cheaper. Easy to handle, too.

I disagree. Get PAR (planed all round). Just plain sawn tends to
be poorer quality (i.e. lots of knots, some structural) and is
the devil to clean - the roughness is an ideal place for pests to
lay their eggs. Other than that, I agree.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.