Old 09-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Mike Lyle

David Cleland wrote:
How short should grass be - I think I am cutting mine too close to

be
honest.

[...]

It depends a lot on what seed mixture you've got: if you've got the
packet, or can remember what you had so you can read it at the garden
centre, that'll tell you.

Once the ground's firmed round the roots, I personally would go for
about 3/4 inch to start with. But even that will scalp some patches
if there are any bumps left: don't worry much if this happens a bit,
as nature will usually sort it out. (Help nature along by scratching
in a bit of seed if necessary.) You may later on be able to lower the
blades to about 1/2 inch, but some varieties won't like this.

Too short can encourage moss to out-compete the grass in certain
conditions, because it doesn't leave enough leaf there to keep the
grass plant growing; too long means you won't get the nice dense
sward you're after. If it looks all right, you're doing the right
thing: there's a fair margin of error in most gardening. Encourage
density by mowing as often as you can bear to, though: at places like
Wembley Stadium it's about three times a day!

[you too xx. Oops!! that bit belongs to a messenger chat I've been
having with one of my daughters simultaneously!]

Mike.