Old 06-01-2005, 05:07 PM
James T Harwood

At 09:39 AM 1/6/2005, Gary Huff wrote:
I am a new bonsai enthusiast and I have one question which I know will
help others and myself, somewhat, in figuring out this question of
watering a bonsai correctly. In e-mails and books I hear about the
"chopstick" or "toothpick" technique of watering a bonsai. Can anyone
explain in detail, as best you can, what exactly does that mean. I also am
trying to use a "moisture probe" putting it in half way down the pot and
waiting until there is little or no sign of moisture before watering. Is
that effective or not?

Watering indicator

1. Insert a shish-ka-bob skewer or chopstick in the soil to the bottom of
pot between trunk and side of pot
2. Remove daily and check for moisture
3. If the stick is glistening wet, reinsert and do not water plant
4. If you are uncertain, place stick against cheek or inside of wrist to
feel moisture
5. The soil should be almost dry (just barely moist) before watering

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++