Old 10-01-2005, 06:15 PM
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes
On 10/1/05 12:22, in article
. com, "
wrote:

I live in Leeds - West Yorkshire. (Brrrrrrr Cold and damp at the
moment)

Kay will be along any minute - so does she!

If you can bear it - try and cut and trim back and live with things for
a year - you may find you have some real treasures.

Personally, I agree with the bark or gravel - life seems a lot easier
since we got rid of the most of our grass - particular the lawns at the
front.

Our front garden is to the N of the house, and as it is on a busy road,
we didn't want to spend much time out there, but we did want it to look
good from the house, and it has worked out really well.

We have hellebores which give architectural leaves with big white or
pale green 'flowers' which stay around for several weeks, euphorbias
with a variety of leaf colours - grey evergreen ones, and purple and
bright orange deciduous ones. Heathers have varieties which can be in
flower at any time of the year. Skimmia (make sure you have a male and a
female) have evergreen leaves, white scented flowers in spring, and red
berries for a long period. Pernettya (also needing a male and female)
have white, pink or red berries. Dwarf willows or dogwoods can have
bright yellow, orange or red stems in winter - cut back well each spring
to encourage the brightly coloured new stems. Maples can have purplish
or reddish foliage all year with brilliant red leaves in autumn, but
don't like wind.

Once you have the garden filled with all year round interest in leaf
colour, stem colour and berries, you can add spring bulbs and other
plants for highlights the rest of the year. Crocosmia for example are in
bright yellow or orange and give a splash of colour late in the season.

Pics of the garden and some plant lists at

http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/index.htm

--
Kay