Old 11-01-2005, 05:33 AM
George Pontis

In article om,
says...
Hello All,

I have been doing a lot of research but need advice from the experts
(aka you guys) on what type of setup I can put in my cubical. I have
plenty of power (AC) but I can not have filters or what not due to
noise (we have lots of engineers in a very tight area). When I was at
Petsmart, I was looking at a 2.5gal glass tank. It was roughly
12x6x9inches. Small enough for my cube but not large enough to get in
the way. I was/am looking at getting live plants to use instead of
filters. What type of fish and what type of plants do you all
recommend? I was thinking of Tetras since they are pretty durable but
I am open to most anything (fairly small).

Take a look at the small Eclipse systems:

http://www.marineland.com/products/c...on_systems.asp

They are self contained with filter and light, and generally well designed. The
filters are effective and not noisy. Probably less so than the fans on office PCs.
There is a 3 and a 6 gallon unit that you might consider. To these you need to add
a small heater. You will also need some gravel, something to vacuum the gravel,
and a 1-2 gallon bucket for maintenance every week or two.

These are real aquariums with usable (flourescent) lights that would support some
plants a few small fish. Neon tetras are reasonable. Another popular fish is the
zebra danio; not as colorful but very active. You might also look at white cloud
minnows which would be fine without a heater.