Old 11-01-2005, 07:41 PM
John Savage

Doyley writes:
First, over the years, I've heard on various garden programs, from
various "experts", that one can use honey in white-fly, fruit fly, etc
traps. I don't question the efficacy, just the harm it may do to bees.
Is it true that putting out honey like this can introduce viruses
(virii?) which could do damage to the honey industry? What could it do
to native bees? (Hmm, that's two questions.)

Yes, setting out honey for any reason is ill-advised. There are a
couple of exotic bee diseases that are spread this way, and they cause
huge damage to bee colonies. Feed sugar, not honey, to butterflies,
fruit flies, and birds; keep the honey for yourself.