Old 11-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Richard

In article ,
Nikki Casali wrote:

Richard wrote:
In article .com,
Dances_With_Ferrets wrote:

I've resealed a lot of tanks in the past few years, and this is what

What he said. One caveat - if it's a glass hex tank, give up. For
some reason everybody's I've talked to says they leak and can't be
esealed.

Knowing better I tried - twice. They're right dammit. I have no
problem resealing rectangular tanks but glass hex tanks? I only
buy acrylic hex tanks now.

I'd like to know the reason. Maybe hex tanks are more prone to flexing
and seals breaking? And maybe it just takes more skill to build a leak
proof one?

I truly don't know.This was 15 years ago and the first time I cleaned it
well then sealed it - leaks. Then I cleaned it well, doused it with hydrochloric
acid then rinsed with distilled water. The tank look new and I was very careful
withthe silicone. Leaked. I got an acrylic tank and never looked back.

I *guess* it's the angle of the glass, they're not cut on a bevel son
they don't meet well.

Anybody got any old glass hex tanks that don't leak?

633CSi 250SE/C 300SD | Killies, killi.net, Crypts, aquaria.net
1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Old wris****ches http://watches.list.mbz.org