Old 11-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Mike

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
Mike wrote:
:: We have a large semi capped well in the garden which straddles the
:: fence line between us and our new neighbours. We have decided to
:: do something about it and 'use the water' therein. We both have an
:: abundant supply of rain water butts off the roofs and garages and
:: propose to discharge the overflow into said well. Does anybody
:: know what the legal side of this is, considering we are on water
:: meters?
::
I'm a bit confused here, you say 'use the water therein', but then say

that
you intend to use the well as a drain for excess rainwater?

Sorry. Bad explanation. We intend to run the excess water when the butts are
full, into the well. (Not as a drain as it appears) Then use it when we
want. Hope that makes sense now ;-))

Where do the water meters come into the equation?

All of the Isle of Wight is supplied by Southern Water, who installed water
meters into the supply so we pay on a consumption basis. Therefore, in the
dry spells we try not to use the hose off the mains, therefore the well
would be ideal.

If you intend using it as a drain for excess rainwater then I can't see

any
problems, after all, it would end up in the well anyway if you didn't use
butts to collect it.

At present, any excess from the butts just goes onto the path/gardens or out
onto the road where it ends up in the Council Drains

If you need *more* water in sumer then you can use the water from the

well,
it's on your land after all but I think you'll find it more of a strain

than
switching the hosepipe on.

I will be working with Tony my new neighbour to get a submersible pump and
possibly a hand pump (will have to calculate lift for both methods) for both
our uses. I expect he will be requiring much more than us as Heather, his
wife, is a greenhouse nut and that was the first thing they got
sorted....... her greenhouse :-))

Mike

H.M.S.Collingwood Ass. Llandudno 20 - 23 May Trip to Portmeirion
National Service (RAF) Ass. Cosford 24 - 27 June Lanc Bomber Fly Past
H.M.S.Impregnable Ass. Sussex 1 - 3 July Visit to Int. Fest of the Sea
British Pacific Fleet. Derby 2 - 5 Sept. Visit to Denby Pottery