Old 11-01-2005, 06:02 PM
JennyC

"JeffC" wrote
"JennyC" wrote
We have a regular tiny mouse come to visit and to nibble on several fat

balls, in nets which hang on a small (rhus) tree outside on the patio.

He is not problem and it's fun to watch him/her feeding at night.
However we seem to have his/her big brother coming round as well :~(
Caught a quick glimpse of a small rat (young?) the other day in the

flower
bed. And the fat balls seem to disappear whole. yesterday was proof when I

went
out to find the nylon net still on its branch but it had been bitten open

and
the ball was gone !

Any ideas on what to do. I don't want ratty getting ideas about coming

indoors!
Jenny

Hi Jenny, I don't know if it will help, but a few weeks ago I noticed a
rather clever bird feeder in B&Q ( cough! spit! ) priced at under £10. It
is basically a peanut feeder with a rather ingenious "sprung" stainless
steel shield that came down over the feed basket when any larger animal,
chiefly squirrels tried to gain access from above. This may allow your mouse
to continue feeding, but the weight of a rat would bring down the shield..
It might be messy trying to fill it with fat balls though! Still at the
price, it might be worth ago.
Jeff.

Great idea Jeff, but we don't have B&Q's here in Holland :~(
Jenny