Old 12-01-2005, 12:05 AM
Timothy

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 14:12:49 -0800, Timothy wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:38:34 -0800, Pen wrote:

I have wild rabbits roaming my yard this winter, they've eaten all my
lupin seedlings -- which is okay with me. Are rabbits immune to the
poison or is lupins' toxicity a myth?

As far as MRS.M.Grieve is concerned, the anwser is no. Follow this and
read for your self:
http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/l/lupins50.html Enjoy your day.

After reviewing Mr.Henning's post, I dug a bit deeper into this. I really
hate to spread incorrect/false information, so I googled over an hour on
this subject (besides, it's starting to snow again... nothing better to do
eh?)

As far as I can see, it's a bit of a sticky question. Yes and no or
depends would be my new answer. Agirculture and Agri-Food Canada states it
best:

http://res2.agr.gc.ca/ecorc/weeds_herbes/fam48_e.htm

"Because of the difficulty in identifying lupines, literature reports of
poisonous species are difficult to interpret. Moreover, under varying
seasonal and edaphic conditions, the toxicity of particular plants can
change, making prediction of poisoning uncertain. Consequently, all lupine
species in Canada must be considered potentially poisonous, but only four
species are included in this inventory."

So if you have the complete latin name of your lupin, then we would be
able to determine for sure.

--
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com