Old 11-01-2005, 08:56 PM
southernbc

Hi Guy,

I am located in southern BC. As far as I know the size of your pond is
not the most important factor for a self sustaining eco system. Balance
seems to be the key. A pond that size will probably prove too small to
"winter" fish in, in the NW. I cannot say how to achieve a perfect
balance but I would suggest a relatively small number of fish and wide
variety of both submerged (oxygenators) and floating plants (Shade and
mechanical filtration). I would think the bottom should have a layer of
gravel to encourage bacteria growth. If you are not planning to use a
pump it may be a good idea to consider at least using an airstone to
help remove toxic gasses from the water and increase oxygen pickup.

No Degrees, No Training, just a relatively new ponder in your area.

You Can see my pond at http://www.boundary-ca.net/pond/index.html

Have a Great Day!
Don Mann - Greenwood BC

Guy Bowerman wrote:
Hi, I'm getting an 8'x8'x20-24" pond and am trying to decide if a
pump/filter is a must have. I checked the rec.ponds faq but am not sure
how much difference the volume/temperature makes.

I'd like the pond to have some amphibians (we see plenty of Pacific Tree
frogs in the garden) and possibly some small fish if I can find
compatible and preferrably native. With the right balance of
oxygenating/shade providing plants, beneficial molluscs etc would a pond
of that size maintain its own balance without the need for a pump/filter
or is the pond too small for that? The garden contractor says
pump/filter is vital. Location is Pacific Northwest if that is relevant
wrt seasons.

Also, is this something one can compromise on, ie run a pump some of the
time? Garden contractor says no, pump must run all the time..

Thanks
Guy

ps sorry if this is a vfaq