Old 12-01-2005, 03:19 AM
Tex John

Jim,

This is far beyond my experience, but Naka's hand drawing does show roots on
both the trunk-side branch cut and and the branch-tip branch cut.

Definately odd looking. Maybe someone can upload a scan to the forum?

John

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
On 11 Jan 2005 at 8:50, Kitsune Miko wrote:

I have the book in ASCi it looks like this"

|airlayer

______ ______ _______ branch tip

| |

cut cut

There is a bottom cut, but not all the way through at
the two cut sites. They are stuffed with moss,
wrapped, and cut off when roots form on either side of
the above indicated airlayer. My question is whether
roots also from on the piece more towards the branch
tip.

This seesm to be a variation on the
put-a-pebble-in-a-slit-and-burry-in-the-ground
technique. but ont hat one the roots form at the end
of the growing tip.

Kits

Based on the biology of trees (plants!) and how nutrients,
water, etc. are moved around, I cannot imagine how you could get
roots in both places; you might be in danger of getting roots at
neither place.

_I_ would not risk it in a plant that I really wanted to get at
least one layer off of. Do the bottom layer now, then the
other layer in a few years when the new roots are fully
supporting the new plant.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Nature

****

****