Old 12-01-2005, 04:44 AM
Alan Walker

Well, I finally looked at the illustration in question.
That's a good idea to do before assessing it, because this is not
about taking two airlayers off the same branch. It is about
taking one airlayer on an upward growing branch off a lateral
branch. The purpose is to create good rootage and a strong base
for the new tree.
When you remove the airlayer, you eliminate the distal
tip of the branch and keep the middle part which has rooted.
John Naka was very competent and knew what he was talking
about. None of the things in his books were techniques he had not
successfully performed himself.
By the way, DO NOT scan the illustrations and post them.
This book is definitely copyrighted and this should be respected.
You will probably be banned from the forum for a while if you do
post it.
Alan Walker