Old 12-01-2005, 05:20 AM
Tony Ashton

Default [IBC] Concerning a Bald Cypress trunk chop

Concerning a Bald Cypress trunk chop.

I am planning on performing a trunk chop on a Bald Cypress this spring, and
I am looking for advice.

The tree is about 10 inches in diameter at the base and15 feet tall. The
tree tapers to about 5 inches in diameter at 3 feet up. It is at this point
I plan on making the chop.

First Question: When to cut?

I am in Portland Or, and I am currently planning on making the cut as soon
as my maples start to show signs of bud swelling ~ some time in mid to late
February.

Next Question: Does anyone have a more precise method of determining the
optimal time for a Bald Cypress trunk chop?

Last Question: If I make the cut in February (Or later, pending advice), can
the top be salvaged (and treated like a cutting) to establish a second tree?

My reason for saving the top is that I have not come across any Bald Cypress
of any size in my local nurseries, and I would be loath to lose the chance
to establish the 'Next' one for use a few years down the road.

Thanks all,

Tony Ashton

Portland OR.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++