Old 12-01-2005, 06:25 AM
Kitsune Miko

Let's try this again:

\/
__|___
------/_____\----------Branch tip
^ ^
Interesting water sprout on branch. Angle cuts as
shown, not all the way through the branch. The life
line continues unbroken across the top. "^"= roots
Naka shows the actual tree planted and the rootage in
a photo.

Kits

--- Tex John wrote:

Jim,

This is far beyond my experience, but Naka's hand
drawing does show roots on
both the trunk-side branch cut and and the
branch-tip branch cut.

Definately odd looking. Maybe someone can upload a
scan to the forum?

John

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
On 11 Jan 2005 at 8:50, Kitsune Miko wrote:

I have the book in ASCi it looks like this"

|airlayer

______ ______ _______ branch tip

| |

cut cut

There is a bottom cut, but not all the way

through at
the two cut sites. They are stuffed with moss,
wrapped, and cut off when roots form on either

side of
the above indicated airlayer. My question is

whether
roots also from on the piece more towards the

branch
tip.

This seesm to be a variation on the
put-a-pebble-in-a-slit-and-burry-in-the-ground
technique. but ont hat one the roots form at the

end
of the growing tip.

Kits

Based on the biology of trees (plants!) and how

nutrients,
water, etc. are moved around, I cannot imagine how

you could get
roots in both places; you might be in danger of

getting roots at
neither place.

_I_ would not risk it in a plant that I really

wanted to get at
least one layer off of. Do the bottom layer now,

then the
other layer in a few years when the new roots are

fully
supporting the new plant.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL

- Nature
encourages no looseness, pardons no errors. Ralph

Waldo Emerson

****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Boon

Manakitivipart++++

****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Boon
Manakitivipart++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott