Old 12-01-2005, 04:06 AM
paghat

In article , "James"
wrote:

"Michelle C" wrote in message
Oh, for God's sake! "Eyesore" is a commonly accepted figure of speech,
meaning 'unpleasant to view'. Obviously the canoe didn't cause physical

pain
to my eyes.

Use of this term (eyesore) always makes me bristle. Clean laundry on a
line is
an "eyesore." Car restoration/repair in a driveway is an "eyesore."
Unless the canoe was emiting noxious vapors, it probably didn't
actually hurt your eyes.

Eyesore is a relative term but no matter. An eyesore up against a fence for
months is a worse one than somebody's underwear on a clothes line for an
hour or two.

Sheets & clothes & linens on a clothesline are kind of nostalgic to me, &
not an eyesoar. In this day & age everyone has a dryer; it's been a long
time since I've seen clothes out on a line. But I remember my
great-grandma Elva using a very old-fashioned washing machine with a
hand-turned pair of rollers for a "wringer," then everything after it had
been through the wringer at least twice was hung outside on three long
clotheslines. It was fun to run after the guinea-hens & chickens between
the rows of hanging garments & sheets & towels, & push one's face into a
stiffening sun-warmed sheet that smelled like summer.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"