Old 12-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Doug Kanter

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
Irene said:

Hi! I occassionally lurk here, but haven't posted in a long, long
time. My name is Irene, and I garden in Zone 5 (far northern Illinois)

Anyhow, I have a couple of questions:

Has anyone tried Burpee's Tomato Towers? They look like they'd be nice
& space-saving if they work, and very annoying if they don't. Or, do
you have a preferred staking method for indeterminate tomatoes?

I use plastic-coated metal stakes and tie up the plants (pruned to two
stems).

Do mini pumpkins result in smaller plants, as well? I've done
normal-sized ones before, and am considering doing Wee Be Little this
year (per request of the 3 year old). I'm considering using a so-far
not planted section of the garden about 2' wide by 15' long, sloping,
next to the house.

Mini-pumpkins grow on long vines. You might be able to grow them up
the side of the house, if you give them something to cling to.

No idea about the size of the pumpkins themselves, but if they're anything
like canteloupe, you'll want to support each pumpkin with some sort of mesh
sling. Pantyhose works.