Old 06-01-2005, 12:54 AM
Bill Orr

"Steve" wrote in message

John is right, of course, but the problem is also made worse by uneven
moisture in the soil. I have been growing all my tomatoes through black
plastic mulch for several years now and blossom end rot is no longer a
problem.
Bill, if you follow your plan to use the black plastic, you might try
doing nothing else the first year. If the problem still exists, then try
a calcium spray. Do you suppose your soil is deficient in calcium? Do
you ever test your soil to see if you should be adding lime?
One more thing, if you live where it gets very hot early in the season,
then using the pine mulch over the plastic is good. If you live where
the season starts out rather cool, you might leave the pine mulch off
until the soil has a chance to warm up a bit.

Steve

Thanks, Steve, also to John. I think I will do just as you suggested, Steve.
Yes, I have tested the ph of the soil. It tested a little high on acid a few
years ago so I added lime and the next year it tested ok. Now, I'll have to
wait until spring.

Regards,
Bill