Old 12-01-2005, 09:39 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Michelle C wrote:

You've had your two cents worth and more. And now ou are trolling IMO.
What a surprise. Ask these questions in USA. What is legal in UK is of no
importance to your (apparent) problem.

But now my curiousity is piqued, so you'll have to forgive me. My post was
titled "legal/ethical dilemma" and one of your countrymen said I was lucky
that my neighbors didn't poison my plants. Excuse me for asking, but is such
a thing legal or ethical in your country? It isn't in ours, but as you said,
your laws are different.

No, it isn't. In general, USA law is developed from English law,
with 250 years of deviations of detail. Unlike with the language,
English law is not a near-superset of USA law, and there is as much
in the latter that is not in the former as vice versa.

The subsetting is why educated English speakers can understand almost
all USA English (though not Ebonics and some Yiddish etc. imports),
but the converse is not true. Neither way round is true of the law.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.