Old 12-01-2005, 07:28 PM
Irene

Doug said:

Right, but I was referring to vines grown on a trellis. The melons

have a
tendency to fall off.

These pumpkins are pretty darn small - I think it's the same variety as
the mini-pumpkins you get in the grocery store. So, if I did a
trellis, I probably wouldn't need to support them individually.

However, I'd actually been thinking more along the lines of having them
cascade down the hill, rather than up the side of the house. (I
realize my original description was a little confusing).

Presumably I could also combine the two - but with a 3 year old, a nine
month old, and other gardening plans for the year, I probably will stop
with just the cascading idea. If they really are only 5' long vines,
that would probably be pretty manageable for the area I'm considering.
When I did full size pumpkins before, I didn't have room for much else
in my regular veggie garden!

Irene