Old 12-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Duncan Heenan

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
snip In article ,
Duncan Heenan wrote:
::
:: As you are an American, I suggest that as someone has upset you,
:: you bomb the hell out of them, invade their garden, occupy it,
:: take their natural resources to pay for the damage, and then
:: insist that they thank you for showing them the American Way.
:: Have a nice day y'all.

Just like Britain did with India, Burma, Australia, America, Canada etc

And that was wrong too. And those people complained too. And were ignored
too. And so turned in to 'terrorists' too and bit the arse of the
aggressors
too.

That is revisionist propaganda. There was SOME of that, but there
were also many cases where the government was competent and not
excessively greedy - in the latter cases, there was rarely any major
independence movement and almost never a 'terrorist' one. A large
proportion of the ex-Empire had to be persuaded to accept independence
and some has still not done so.

However, in the cases where Britain DID bomb the hell out of the
inhabitants and generally treat them like dirt, there WAS considerable
resistance to the occupation.

Is that so surprising?

The main lesson of history is that no-one learns from it.

That is true.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I think you'll find that the incomers to the USA in the 18th & especially
19th Century met considerable resistance from the indigenous inhabitants,
who on the whole were either slaughtered or ghettoised. The genocide of the
American Indians is one of the great injustices of human history, which too
many people seem to want to forget.