Old 12-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/12/05 9:18 AM, in article ,
"Janet Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from
(paghat) contains these words:

Sheets & clothes & linens on a clothesline are kind of nostalgic to me, &
not an eyesoar. In this day & age everyone has a dryer; it's been a long
time since I've seen clothes out on a line. But I remember my
great-grandma Elva using a very old-fashioned washing machine with a
hand-turned pair of rollers for a "wringer," then everything after it had
been through the wringer at least twice was hung outside on three long
clotheslines.

My ma used one of those wringers. I often had to help, it doesn't
half hurt when your fingertips get caught.

It was fun to run after the guinea-hens & chickens between
the rows of hanging garments & sheets & towels, & push one's face into a
stiffening sun-warmed sheet that smelled like summer.

I still think that the scent and texture of pure cotton sheets dried
on an outdoor line are one of life's finer luxuries, and dry our laundry
that way all year round whenever its not raining. This house has a
breezy drying-green overlooking the sea, and they dry really fast.

Snip

Janet.

Ah Janet - you've made my heart ache. I miss that smell and only a dingy
dank back yard to hang laundry with out offending the fashion police of the
neighborhood.

Cheryl