Old 12-01-2005, 10:36 PM
profpam

Hi Gene,

I, too, may try this again. I purchased a couple from Dutch bulbs last
year; set them out in the flower bed; and the crows ate them in one day
despite a cage to prevent the same.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html

Gene Schurg wrote:

While dreaming through the spring bulb catalogs I found that Dutch

Bulbs

(
www.dutchbulbs.com) is offering Egret flowers (Habenaria radiata) at

2

corms for $10.00. They rate this for zones 5-10.

Is anyone growing this in their flower patch? I have a nice stand of

pink

and white Bletillas that are nice flowers, not great but nice. I

thought

this might be a nice addition to my outdoor orchid collection.

I'm wondering how long the flowers last and how hardy they seem to be

for

other growers.

It's an interesting miniature, but it's not going to light up a
flowerbed. I think it would be better suited to pot culture. I've
grown it on several occasions and have had difficulty getting it
through the winter. The first time I lost my dormant plants, I had
previously given seed to a friend for flasking. The flasked seedlings
grew well and bloomed their second year out of flask, but then slowly
dwindled away over several winters. I think it dislikes wet conditions
while dormant. Perhaps a cool dry dormancy would be better.