Old 13-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/13/05 10:01 AM, in article
, "dps"
wrote:

The smallest pumpkins I know of are about 2-3" in diameter, e.g.
Jack-be-little. The JBL is flattened and ridged like a larger pumpkin. I
believe it's actually a gourd, but it is edible. You can scoop out the
insides and bake it with some sort of filling. There is another version
(I've forgotten the name at the moment) that is rounder and more
spherical, but about the same diameter.

There is also something called a "putka", or pumpkin pod. I've not seen
seeds available for these anywhere. You can buy them dried for
decoration (generally they're dyed orange or green). I've tried to
extract the seeds and start them, but got zero germination. These things
are about 1/2 inch in diameter, maybe 3/8 inch high. I believe they're
actually a dried pepper of some sort.

Do you mean these things?

http://www.hirts.com/cgi-local/catal...1,3,&item=1194

Physalis alkekengi (Chinese Lanterns)

Cheryl

Doug Kanter wrote:
...It's interesting that nobody has quantified the word "small" so far in
this
discussion. You say "really small", and I'm thinking grapes, but I'm being a
wise guy. Are you picturing pumpkins the size of lemons? A softball?