Old 13-01-2005, 09:46 PM
Geodyne

pete wrote in
:

On Christmas eve the biggest earthquake Tasmania had ever experienced
happened 900 klms off the Tassie coast ... I was talking to people
about how lucky Tassie was that they hadnt had a Tsunami from that
quake when I saw the Indonesian ones, at first I thought it was the
same quake or some after shock effect, then I realised it was another
one, again the biggest ...

The Macquarie Island quake wasn't much smaller than the Aceh one though
Pete - 8.5, as compared to 8.9. The type of motion at Macquarie is very
different to that of the plate boundary in Indonesia, fortunately.

If the one in the Balleny Islands in Antarctica ever went off though -
those of us in SE Oz should all brace.

The end of last year was pretty big to me - we lost 53 distant family
members in the tsunami. Hopefully the rest of this year will be somewhat
less dramatic.

Geodyne