Old 14-01-2005, 12:57 AM
RichToyBox

Antibiotics work on bacteria, until resistance builds in. Many of the
antibiotics in use are of no use. The use of antibiotics in the pond is
really a poor investment. They will kill your filter which will cause
deterioration of the water quality, and poor water causes the fish to be
more susceptible to the bacteria than if they were left to their own
defenses. Antibiotic food has some marginal benefits, depending on the
antibiotic incorporated, if the fish will eat. Sick fish typically go off
their feed and you couldn't get them to eat shrimp, so the antibiotic food
doesn't do any good for them. Injectable antibiotics are really the best,
when antibiotics are needed. There are some new dips, which incorporate
some antibiotic with an activating agent that seem to work. Getting
injectibles usually entails having a very cooperative vet, since they are
not allowed to dispense without seeing the patient.
--
RichToyBox

"Carl Beyer" wrote in message
Someone suggested that I should refrain from antibiotics due to the
addition of new strains of viruses... I try avoid to antibiotics in my
personal life as well so it got me thinking.

When a human takes antibiotics, unless it is a shot, there is a regiment
(6 to 10 pills) of medication that have to be taken (according to the
doctor). Stopping the intake of the antibiotic can lead to stronger
viruses and some other stuff I really don't understand (and maybe this
whole theory is wrong as well?).

So, do you have to keep giving fish Antibiotics if you start?

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com