Old 14-01-2005, 05:20 AM
Edward M. Kennedy

"Gregor" wrote

shopping as locally as possible? Are you supporting your local mom and
pops, or are you bitchin' about the crap tools at Lowes?

Great insight. I found my American cast axe in a locally owned
hardware store, not part of a chain.

I remember the days when many Americans made their
own damn axes because there wasn't a store for ninety
miles from their homestead. Everyone thought the next
generation was going to hellfire and damnation because
they couldn't make their own tools. Turns out, they made
more valuable things[1] instead. This exact same scenario
is going play out with computers, but never mind. The
old fogeys would rather remain in the years gone by.

1. A service economy does have it's rickity underpinnings.
I'm trying hard to not make a tsunami reference.

--Ted