Old 12-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Jacqueline Sanders" wrote in message
I have recently starting keeping fish in my pond , mostly koi and have

been
told that I need to have plants in my pond which provide air for the fish
can you please advise on what plants to buy.

Aeration is important for any body of water with fish in it. Fish use up the
Dissolved Oxygen (DO) and it needs to be replenished for them to survive.

The two primary means for replenishing DO, plants and aeration. Many ponders
have a fountain, stream, waterfall or other sort of waterfeature that breaks
the surface of the water. This is a great way to aerate the water. Moving
water is a great aerator.

Plants are also a great aeration solution, but remember that at night plants
can actually use O2 and starve a pond of DO. I have never seen this in my
pond, which is heavily planted, but I understand it has been a problem for
other rec.ponders.

Really any plant submerged in your pond will help. Anacharis is a popular
aerator, http://www.iheartmypond.com/Plants/Submerged/Anacharis/. It grows
like mad, acts as a supplemental food source for fish, it's cheap and it
aerates nicely.

Also check out http://www.iheartmypond.com/WaterQuality/Aeration/, for more
on aeration.

--