Old 14-01-2005, 05:43 PM
Hal

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 23:18:51 -0500, Stephen Henning
wrote:

Since my pond is spring fed, nutrient filtering is important all year
long. Is there anything I can do now or do I just play catchup in the
spring?

Don't mean to be discouraging, but IMO with a continual spring feed
your pond is not going to be easily controlled. I'd try to enjoy it
as an experience and appreciate what the spring does for you. There
are over 1000 varieties of algae and the variety of string algae I had
one spring was a carpet 6" long bottom and sides, but didn't actually
harm anything until I got upset and tried to get rid of it. Aluminum
sulfate kills it, but the mass of dead algae plugged the drain and I
vacuumed the dead stuff for hours. (Being about as smart as a fence
post, I did this a couple times too.) The final cure was another
algae that turned the water black for a couple months. If it ever
happens again I shall keep the carpet, so long as it stays on the
bottom and sides and doesn't float to the top in a bubbly, snotty
looking mass.

Regards,

Hal