Old 14-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Crashj

On or about Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:14:39 -0500, "RichToyBox"
wrote something like:

An article in the newest issue of KOI USA, by a club member that lives in
Maryland, is very good look at pond deicers, air stones, and pumps. He
argues that you should not use deicers, since they do not create a current
and water low in oxygen, high in carbon dioxide, hydrogen sulfide and
methane will develop in the bottom of the pond. The densest pure fresh
water occurs at 39 degrees F and will fall to the bottom and stay there,
building levels of pollution which can stress, if not kill the fish. A
bubbler, or a pump, located at the bottom of the pond, forcing water to the
surface will take the warmer water and help to melt the ice, but more
importantly, give good gas exchange for the water at the bottom of the pond.

All good in theory, but I want data! Of course one man's data is
another man's garbage out. I am not going to rush outside and move my
bubbler to the bottom tonight.
--
Crashj