Old 15-01-2005, 07:28 AM
Les Dowdell

Hi Theo,

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:46:14 +0100, Theo wrote:
I know that exist
different varieties of color in Pentaphilla needles , but I often see
them in review with a stronger deep green color.. so I was wonderning
how to enhance it and if it was possible an d ask advice before making
a predicament

(snip)

might be
but in the competitions or pictures they look so wildly strong green
that makes me jalous :-D

There is a very high probability that the pictures of pines you see in
reviews, competitions, and other publications were taken at a time of year
other than winter. Therefore the color of the trees would have been the
bright green of trees in active or semi-active growth. As mentioned by
others, evergreens such ar pines, spruces, junipers, firs, and others that
have a cold/cool dormant period will have dull foliage and may even change
color (various species of juniper will take on a brown or purple cast until
spring). Comparing dull winter foliage to spring/summer/fall bright foliage
is an exercise in frustration.

Best wishes in bonsai,
Les Dowdell
whose brown and purple junipers are covered with white in zone 3a.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++