Old 15-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Rob Davison

paghat wrote:

In article , "James"
wrote:

I'm wanting to start some Royal Empress trees from seed and plant a row of
them along my long driveway. ( PAULOWNIA tomentosa) Anyone had these trees
and am wondering about any drawbacks to the idea?

Nature Conservancy's Invasive Species Initiative requests that people
voluntarily stop planting these trees even in places where they are not
yet illegal. They sometimes sucker & invariably self-seed like weeds,

Bit sweeping. We've had one for 30 odd years. Never seen a seedpod or
(unsurprisingly) a seedling in all of that time. It'll be better
than 30 feet high.

It will sucker if you cut the root, but IME nowhere near as badly
as (say) Populus tremuloides. Gonna ban that one too? :-)

Ten minutes with a spade once a year keeps our Palownia in check.
The first year growths are very soft and easy to knock off in winter.

to the point of being invasive.

Climate makes a very big difference to how a species behaves. The suits
flying desks that ban these things rarely take that into account.

In Connecticut for example (as of this past October) you can be fined a
hundred dollars for planting, transplanting, or selling paulownia.

In that case I'm glad I don't live in Conneticut.

Its a good tree.

Rob.