Old 15-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Den said:

Group:

I've just pruned back a rather large prickly pear! Given my experience,
this will be the only time I do this!

I've discovered that I've now got hundreds of tiny hair like micro-spines in
my hands. These are painful, but nothing more. I'm working away with a
pair of tweezers, but many of the micros-spines are nigh on invisible. Any
ideas how to remove them, or to stop them hurting?

Love the flowers, hate having to weed or prune them. When I get a lot of
stickers in me I use either packaging tape or duct tape. Lay a piece on, pull it
off and toss it. Lay on a fresh piece and repeat.

A sharp tweezer with a built in magnifying lens is useful in hunting down stray
prickles.

But I always get a few spines that get in beyond either remedy and I have to
wait for these to fester out.

(attributed to Don Marti)